YANGON, Myanmar - According to media sources closed to armed forces, Myanmar's military leader has dismissed the air force head following a series of deadly bombing operations to quell the rebellion that received global condemnation.
Reuters reported that Maung Maung Kyaw, 57, a general with an elite military history, has been removed from the position he held since 2018.
According to reports, Htun Aung, the air force's chief of staff, took charge.
The Kachin News Group said the personnel swap occurred as the military reportedly conducted another air raid in Htigyaing, a town in the Sagaing district, on Thursday. Armed citizens of the town have been fighting with military personnel since Wednesday evening.
There was no public notification that Maung Maung Kyaw had been removed, and Reuters could not determine why military leader General Min Aung Hlaing had done so.
However, according to the Eleven Myanmar news website, military spokesman General Zaw Min Tun said that Maung Maung Kyaw has "completed his service."
"We don't know if the new air force chief will stop bombing the innocent civilians," a local reacted to the news upon the condition of anonymity.